

It's been a scary/wild/sad/happy/emotional last few days. Where to begin...
On Thursday evening, I had an emergency c-section, and little Helena Jane Sheehe was born at 9:24 p.m. Earlier that afternoon, I had some bleeding and after a call to the doctor, she informed me to get to the hospital now, where they made the decision to take Helena immediately. She weighed 7 pounds and 15 ounces and was approx. 20 inches long.
She arrived screaming, much to our relief, but had a huge softball sized Omphalocele with her liver and bowels outside which was covered by a thin membrane. They wrapped her up in gauze and plastic (to keep the moisture in and germs out) and let me touch her hands/feet, before taking her to Children's Hospital. Tommy followed her to the hospital and stayed there with her for awhile, but he wasn't permitted to stay the night.
She has already had her first surgery, and we were told everything went well. They were able to put her organs back in her body! That is just amazing to me. Those surgeons are truly miracle workers! She has some swelling now, and her abdomen is "raised" but she should grow in the next few weeks so that it doesn't look so bad. In a few months, she may need another surgery, but it should be minor.
Today, I was able to get a 4 hour pass from St. Ann's to visit our little Helena. Tommy drove me downtown, and I was able to see her for the first time since her birth. She is so beautiful! I just wanted to scoop her up and hold her close, but I couldn't. Anyone who has experienced a NICU knows what I'm talking about. What a sad sight -- all those little babies. I focused on mine, and the severity of the situation sort of hits you like a ton of bricks. She has been through so much in such a short amount of time. Helena is so strong, but yet so vulnerable. Tommy and I visited for awhile, and then I asked when I could hold her. (She hadn't been held yet...) To my surprise, the nurses decided it would be okay and that it was time, and let me.
It took some wire wrangling and more than a few hands, but I was able to hold her for a bit. Oh my gosh... I cannot even describe to you what I was feeling... such love, such tenderness. I didn't want to put her back, but she was uncomfortable and we could tell, so we put her back in her "bed." (They are trying to wean her off some of her pain medications, and she still has some "touch" issues.)
Tommy returned me to St. Ann's, and then drove home to help out with Alexandra. (Grandma Barb came down from Michigan to take care of Alexandra, during this transition time for us.) After a couple of hours at home, playing with Alexandra and getting her dinner, Barb, Tommy, and Alexandra came by St. Ann's for a visit with me. (They have been doing this every morning and night, while I've been at St. Ann's.) Then, they drove downtown to see Helena at Children's Hospital.
The latest report -- Helena was taken off the ventilator tonight, and was breathing okay on her own! What a huge step for her! Hopefully she will last on her own through the night, fingers crossed.
Tommy is going to head over first thing in the a.m. to check on her. Speaking of Daddy... Tommy... my husband -- thank you. He has been my rock. He has been the energizer bunny, too... going, and going, and going.
Tommy has been bouncing back and forth between visiting me at St. Ann's in Westerville, and visiting with Helena at Children's Hospital, in downtown Columbus, plus making sure his mother, Barb, and his other daughter Alexandra are doing okay.
Today, though, he took me to visit Helena... and will take me again tomorrow. Thank you, Tommy. :)
I don't know how he does it. I know this has been beyond rough on him, seeing the girls in his life struggle like this... Alexandra missing her "routine" and mommy... Helena struggling in one hospital, while his wife heals in another.
Having Grandma Barb here has been a huge blessing too. I don't know what we would have done had she not come down. She has been Alexandra's "constant" during this transitional time.
Laura, my BFF/sister and Helena's Godmother, and her mom, Peggy... they were with me the night of my emergency c-section too... thank you! They helped keep me company (and tried to relax/comfort me) and watch over Alexandra while Barb was able to juggle time with Alexandra, Tommy, and myself in the hospital. Laura Jane Bradigan... thank you. :)
I can't believe how fast things have happened... I can't believe it's already Saturday, too. I have had so many friends call, email, and visit... thank you. It's been an emotional roller coaster, and you all have helped tremendously... Becki, Celeste, Jerri, Jessica, Megan ... the list goes on and on. Thank you!
I will try and keep this blog updated so you can keep Helena in your thoughts and prayers.
4 comments:
Oh Kerrie, she is so beautiful! My thoughts and prayers are with you all!!! If you need anything, don't hesitate to call!
Hey, don't know if you got my phone message. Sorry I got a little choked up there as I spoke, but gosh what an ordeal, and what a beautiful thing to see the photo of you holding her! You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. (I was checking your blog almost hourly.)
Kerrie it sounds like you and your family have been through so much! You are in my thoughts and prayers-take care.
Kerrie & Tommy
What brave troopers you are and what a remarkable example of "grace under fire" you both have been in this crisis. Helena and Alexandra are very fortunate to have the two of you as parents.
Bruce Campbell
Post a Comment